Wednesday, September 5, 2012

About Me




My Name is Ysidro Francis Edgeworth. I was born on February 8, 1845 in Edgeworthstown, County Longford, Ireland and died February 13, 1926 in England. I was an Irish economist and statistician. I used mathematics and applied it to economics which made me famous. In 1888, I became a professor of political economy at King's College in London.
I was a genius at math but could not effectively convey my thoughts through writing, therefore many people did not learn about my work.

My most famous work, Mathematical Psychics (1881), conveyed my new ideas on the generalized utility function, the indifference curve, and the contract curve, all of which you all have heard of, as much of economics depends on those theories today. I also contributed to the pure theory of international trade and to taxation and monopoly theory.



http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/179110/Francis-Ysidro-Edgeworth

1 comment:

  1. We'll be discussing the Edgeworth Box on Wednesday. So his relevance to the class should be pretty immediate.

    On a technology note, while this blog does appear in the sidebar to the main class blog, a snippet of this post does not appear. I don't understand why but we should be on the lookout that snippets from subsequent posts do appear.

    ReplyDelete